My husband introduced these to me 20+ years ago and they have been a faithful on the table ever since!
I'd love to know how many of our children(let's talk under 10) will sit down to a bowl of raw carrot, spinach, corn, avocado and snow peas.....I'm guessing not many and let me tell you, might children don't either. However these rice paper rolls are a little bit of magic when it comes to getting the children to eat raw.
Seriously simple to throw together at any time & yes, more of a meal than a snack but since it's so simple I knew you'd probably love them too! You don't have to use all the vegetables listed below and it's about using what you have in the fridge. The herbs I think are not negotiable and always have to be there however my little ones love no herbs so give them both a try.
MAKES: 8-10 rolls PREP TIME: 15 mins
- 1-2 carrots - grated
- 1 cucumber(seedless) - cut into thin lengths
- 1 red capsicum - cut into thin lengths
- 10 snow peas - cut into really thin lengths
- 1 corn cob(kernals cut off)
- 1-2 avocados - skinned and thinly sliced
- 1 cup mung beans
- 1/ cup baby spinach
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- 6 eggs - whisked and pan fried as a large flat omelette OR
- 6 chicken thigh fillets BBQ'd
- 1 @mayvers dark roasted peanut butter
- Place all vegetables on a large platter/plates
- Prepare a large water bath(we use a frying pan filled with tap water) for dipping the rice papers in to soften)
- Dip Rice paper into water until wet all over
- Place rice paper onto plate
- Using a knife spread a thin line of peanut butter 2/3 way the middle
- Start with carrot and follow with all other vegetables over the peanut butter
- Finish with meat or eggs
- Drizzle with sauce
- Fold bottom 1/6 up and then roll the side over the filling until roll completed
- Prepare to stuff yourself entirely with delicious crunchy goodness!!!!
- 1 fresh lime - juiced
- 1 cl fresh garlic grated
- 1 fresh ginger knob grated(about the same size as the garlic)
- 1/4 cup Kikkoman salt reduced soy
- 1tb fish sauce
- 1tsp seasame oil
- 4tbs sweet chilli sauce
- Place all ingredients in a jar
- Close lid tightly
- Shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes
make. eat. enjoy.