There's lot to love about these fudgy squares & it's hard to tell which trumps the other...
Is is the:
- Big chocolate hit?
- Textured crunchiness of the figs?
- that slightly bitter crunch from the roasted hazelnuts?
- the smooth underlying coffee taste?
- or is it that all over satisfaction??
I actually really LOVE the flavour of coffee but don't like the caffeine hit & I get lots of crap given to me about this preference and by none other than my lovely man! Bugger it, I'll continue to make snacks/treats with decaf coffee anyway but feel free to insert REAL coffee at any time.
I did tell you these are delicious but if coffee is not your thing - sub some orange rind and orange oil in place of the coffee and it yep! it's another delicious little treat/snack that can hit that 'craving' out the park!
MAKES: 10-14 pieces MAKE TIME: 15 mins SET TIME: 2 hrs
- 2 cups dried figs
- 2 Tbs cacao powder
- 1 Tbs espresso powder(I use decaf as my children LOVE the flavour of coffee & and me too!)
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 Tbs maple syrup(optional)
- ¾ cup roasted hazelnuts – chop roughly
- Line loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Place figs in a bowl and cover with boiling water & 1/2 Tbs espresso powder for 2-4 mins to soften – drain well before using
- Place figs, cacao powder, espresso powder, coconut oil, nut butter and half of the hazelnuts into food processor
- Process until well combined
- Take of the left over hazelnuts and fold through mix by hand
- Place some chopped hazelnuts on the base of the loaf tin and press mix on top
- Place remaining hazelnuts on top of mix – press down slightly so they don’t come loose
- Place in the freezer for 2 hours
- Cut into squares as big or as small as you like
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container
make. eat. enjoy.