Recipe creation comes in 3 forms in our house:
- a friend or lovely nourisher has an allergy or ban that they are working on but don't want their children to miss out on wholesome goodness
- left over vegetables or fruit in the fridge that needs to be used up
- just because it feels good <3
So this one came about because as school heads back and the feedback pours back in from my survey - nut bans appear to be causing the most challenges!
Well here's another NUT FREE recipe(this one also uses up the left over pumpkin in my fridge!)
MAKES: 40 cookies
TIME: 15mins turn 10 mins until golden brown & lifting off the papered trays
- 1 cup pepita butter(@earthbounty peptia seeds blended with a little light olive oil until a paste begins to form - this can be made ahead of time just like almond butter and kept in the fridge)
- 1 cup @myorganics oats
- 3/4 cup pureed pumkin(or left over roast pumpkin)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
- 5 Tb @queenfinefoods maple syrup
- 1 tsp all spice
- Warm maple and pepita butter(almond butter can be used here if you are not working with nut bans)
- Add puree and egg to maple mix until smooth and well combined
- Add wet mix to sifted dry ingredients and mix until well combined
- Mix will appear wet - you're on the right track!
- Using a tablespoon, spoon mix onto greaseproof papered trays - this will not spread much during baking
- Bake for 15 mins, turn in the oven, bake for a further 10-15 mins until golden brown & hold together
- As soon as cookies are out of the oven, shift each one to prevent sticking on the paper
- Allow to cool - these will be crispy initailly however will soften once in the fridge
Filled with complex carbs from the whole oats and sweetened with maple and pumpkins it's one of those 'comfort food' cookies!
super easy to put together and these freeze well too!