Way cooler than pumpkin scones and a welcome change up from banana bread. This inspiration usually comes when I have loads of pumpkin and sw potato leftover from a weekend roast night or mash. The image above is drizzled with maple syrup & coupled it with Matche tea!
Preheat oven to 180ºC.
INGREDIENTS: Caramelly walnut mix:
- 1 ¼ cups roasted chopped(about currant size or smaller) walnuts(measure the walnuts in the chopped state)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup pumpkin(steamed)
- ½ cup sweet potato(steamed)
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup wholemeal spelt flout(lightly filled)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbs oat or reg milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
Caramelly walnuts: Place walnuts, cinnamon and maple syrup in a bowl; mix to combine and set aside.
- Line a square tin with GP paper.Steam sw. potato & pumpkin – cool
- Place in food processor & whiz for 5 secs
- Add olive oil, maple syrup, almond milk, salt, vanilla and egg to the pumpkin & sw pot mix; process until smooth.
- Sift spelt flour and baking powder into a medium bowl and stir to combine. Fold pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until just combined.
- Spread half pumpkin mix over bottom of baking tin.
- Layer caramel walnut mixture evenly over pumpkin mix and top with remaining pumpkin mix.
- To create the caramelly flavour throughout, use a knife to zigzag back and forth through the batter (across the tin) and then back through the centre of the loaf (lengthways).
- Place in oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn after 20 mins. Take out of the oven once the cake springs back :0