Don’t you love it when you are given a challenge?
The challenge I recieved was from the nut company – Earths Bounty & MyOrganics – that I ambassador for. They sent me a box of goodies with a note that says; ‘welcome to Autumn, here is some products, create away”
It’s good for a few reasons and I want to share these with you. Hands up who generally eats the same foods, week in and week out? Makes the same snacks, week in and week out? and yes my hand is up when it comes to this too. So that’s why I love when challenges are given! It makes you change your habit for the better.
Variety in our diet is so important – each ingredient we have within out diet’s brings a different nutritional element and energy value. These components are important for different parts of the body and for our day to day mechanics. and this my lovely nourishers is where the saying “variety is the spice of life” comes from I reckon – what about you?
This mix is super yummy as a topper as well. Throw it on your porridge or mix with yoghurt.
What is buckwheat? and why use it? I use it because it is high in protein plus buckwheat is also very good source of manganese and a good source of copper, magnesium, dietary fibre and phosphorus. What’s not to love!
Enjoy making a change in your diet – if buckwheat is too off the charts for you – just add some whole rolled oats – great source of complex carbs instead.
Crunchy buckwheat & super fruits granola
This recipe requires 2-4 hrs soaking time - the buckwheat MUST be soaked first - you cannot bypass this step! unless of course you like super hard buckwheat!!
- 2 cups @myorganics raw buckwheat
- 2 cup @myorganics activated nuts and seeds mix
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch gr. cloves
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or you could use warmed honey
- 1 cup Superfruits - goji berries, cranberries and currants
- Step 1 Soak the buckwheat – min 2 hrs. This makes the buckwheat easier to digest and also you bypass the possibility of breaking your teeth on super hard groats!
- Step 2 Wash the buckwheat groats really well after soaking – you will notice a thick liquid has developed and this needs to be gone!
- Step 3 Drain the buckwheat well
- Step 4 Combine all the dry ingredients togetehr in a large bowl and mix well.
- Step 5 Add buckwheat to the dry mix and stir
- Step 6 Pour over the maple syrup & mix until all the ingredients are well coated
- Step 7 Line 2 trays with baking paper
- Step 8 Spread granola mix thinly & evenly over the trays
- Step 9 Place in the oven and slow bake
- Step 10 The buckwheat may appear soft when you take it out of the oven however it will continue to dry
- Step 11 Once completely cool, store this delicious new granola in air-tight containers.