Nut free options are high in demand and keeping in mind your busy schedule now with children back at school this one is quick, delicious & no baking required!
The PEPITA BUTTER needs to be made beforehand and it’s super simple to make so stick with me and I’ll share this simple variation that can be added to other recipes too.
- 4 cups pepitas
- 2-4 tb olive oil
- Step 1 Place pepitas in food processor
- Step 2 Process on high – leave running for 8-10 mins
- Step 3 Scrape down the sides – process for another 8-10 mins
- Step 4 Scrape down & add 2 tb olive oil
- Step 5 Process on high until mix starts to come together
- Step 6 Friction causes heat which in turn causes the oils to be release from the seeds to start forming a paste.
- Step 7 Add more olive oil if you need to
- Step 8 This butter is not as wet as say peanut butter however you will see a paste form
- Step 9 Store in an airtight jar for 1 month in the fridge
Chewy Pepita Butter Bars
Line a plastic container(that has a lid) with greaseproof and press the mix straight into here - this saves transferring later and it easy to cut small pieces as you go!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3 tb honey
- 4 tb pepita butter (or almond butter)
- 2 tb cacao powder(or mesquite powder)
- 3/4 cuproasted pepitas
- 3/4 cup oats(or quinoa flakes to make GF)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Step 1 Line a medium baking tin with greaseproof paper
- Step 2 Warm seed butter and honey together
- Step 3 Place dates in food processor and process until a semi paste forms
- Step 4 Add seeds, oats, coconut & cacao powder.
- Step 5 Pulse until just combined(the less you process the chunkier it will be)
- Step 6 Pour in honey/seed butter mix. Blitz until well mixed (or just mixed if you like it chunky)
- Step 7 Press into tray. Set in the fridge
Do you usually make the original? Let me know if you give this a try & how it was received in your house…..