This slice has those wonderful spices and the flavours you know well. It’s Gluten and diary free and not overly sweet. – it’s really good served warm too
Healthy Apple and Almond Slice
- 1 ½ cup almond meal
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Pinch clove
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup dried apple(I got these from The Bulk Source Foods – skin on and not overly sweet!)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs milk(oat, cow or other)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup toasted walnuts chopped roughly
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Step 2 Line a square baking tin
- Step 3 Place apple pieces into food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Step 4 Remove half the chopped apple(you need this later- it adds texture) Add the almond meal and spices and process until apple is fine like the almond meal.
- Step 5 Take out of food processor and turn into another bowl.
- Step 6 Add all the eggs and whites with the maple syrup and process on high to incorporate air. This will not whip into peak just aerate. 5-10 mins
- Step 7 Fold egg mix & milk into the almond meal mix – fold through the chopped apple pieces and the chopped walnuts pieces. The mix will firm up as the almond meal soaks up the wet ingredients. Scrape into lined tin and flatten as much as possible.
- Step 8 Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Start with 15 mins, turn in oven for a further 10 and check with skewer to see if comes out dry